The DBA and Ahpra work closely together to regulate Australia’s registered dental practitioners and students as part of the National Registration and Accreditation Scheme.
The functions of the Dental Board of Australia include:
- registering students, dentists, dental specialists, dental therapists, dental hygienists, oral health therapists and dental prosthetists
- developing standards, codes and guidelines for the dental profession
- handling notifications, complaints, investigations and disciplinary hearings
- assessing overseas-trained practitioners who wish to practise in Australia, and
- approving accreditation standards and accredited courses of study.
Ahpra supports the DBA in its role of protecting the public, including by managing the registration and notification processes, and by maintaining the national register of practitioners.