Burnout is a popular term for a mental or physical energy depletion after a period of chronic, unrelieved, job-related stress characterised sometimes by physical illness. The person suffering from burnout may lose concern or respect for other people and often have cynical, dehumanised perceptions of people, labelling them in a derogatory manner.
Causes of burnout for dental practitioners may include:
- stressful, even dangerous work environments
- lack of support or respectful relationships within your working environment
- concerns around income or profitability
- long working hours
- the responsibility of providing high levels of care over long periods, or
- frustration, disillusionment from the reality of the job not meeting your expectations.